I loooove baked oatmeal – it takes me back to my Camp Hebron days before my senior year in high school. I worked in the kitchen and baked oatmeal was one of the best meals we made. I regret not snagging the recipe; although I fear it probably had a bit too much sugar in it. On to this healthier version!
Baked vanilla blueberry oatmeal (8 servings)
nonstick cooking spray
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt
2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (I used the coconut/almond blend and I’m sure regular milk would work fine too!)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
2 TBsp raw honey
2 cups frozen blueberries, defrosted (if you use fresh blueberries – add 1/2 c more milk)
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with spray.
3. Combine oats, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
4. Combine almond milk, extract, eggs, applesauce, and honey in a large bowl; whisk to blend.
5. Add oat mixture to milk mixture; mix well.
6. Gently fold in blueberries (and any juice from defrosting)
7. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
8. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until top has browned.
I topped mine with some non fat greek yogurt (Chobani simply 100 in vanilla) and a handful of blueberries. My 22 month old loved it plain!
If you don’t like blueberries, feel free to omit! The original recipe can be found here and doesn’t include blueberries. I wasn’t too crazy about the nutmeg in this recipe either – next time I’m going to omit it.
21 day fix – this makes 8 servings, 1 serving counts as 2 yellow and 1/4 of a purple. If you add a red container of greek yogurt on top plus more berries add those containers as necessary!